Why Marriage and Family Ministry is so Crucial Today
By Roy M. Milam
Abraham Lincoln said, “The strength of a nation lies in the homes of its people.” Truly the family is the cornerstone of our society. God intended it to be. Yet you don’t have to look far to see that the weeds of isolation, dysfunction and divorce are choking out the strength of the family, both inside and outside of the church. Perhaps the greatest threat to American society is the breakdown of the family.
These conditions present us with a challenge; to reach people with the life-changing message of Jesus Christ at this crucial point of their marriage & family needs. But we must take a strong, proactive biblical approach toward reclaiming our marriages and families for Christ. How? By strengthening and fortifying families against divorce, separation, loneliness, and spiritual complacency.
Cornerstone Marriage & Family Ministries is committed to restoring and strengthening families by equipping couples to build their homes according to God’s blueprints and to reach out to others and do the same. Our mission is to glorify God by building godly families in Christ.
We envision a Christian marriage retreat ministry where husbands and wives and families from across the Houston area being healed and their marriages restored and strengthened. We see couples learning to relate to each other more lovingly and to live according to God’s plan for their marriage. We see a place where couples are touched by the Lord and strengthened in their faith, where couples and families are being reconciled, and growing closer to God and each other through marriage and family enrichment experiences. A place where God is transforming lives and where couples are encouraged and equipped.
We see a place where marriages and families that are hurting, broken-hearted, discouraged, and lonely are set free, and experience love, acceptance, and forgiveness. We envision a ministry where couples whose marriages have been healed, encouraged and equipped to mentor others, are returning to their communities and churches and reaching out to other couples with God’s love and truth.
Building strong, godly marriages, in three key ways:
1. Healing hurting marriages- Marriage intensive, weekend retreats focused on dealing with spiritual, interpersonal and relational issues, with a six-session follow up program.
2. Fine-tuning and strengthening “stable” marriages-Weekend marriage enrichment retreats that help committed couples proactively sustain a happy, fulfilling relationship emphasizing spiritual and relational growth,with an optional four-week follow up program.
3. Equipping leadership and mentoring couples- through weekend retreats aimed at equipping leaders for ministry so that they can reach out to others and lead marriage and family ministry in their churches & communities.
We are committed to:
- Directing people to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Adhering to the Bible, God’s Word as the primary basis of all we do and teach
- Prayer, and seeking to be empowered and led by the Holy Spirit
- Demonstrating excellence that honors God and a servant spirit toward the people to whom we minister
- Serving the local church as it equips individuals and families to have godly homes
- Caring for and discipling each individual’s unique giftedness through the Holy Spirit, encouraging them to utilize their gifts and abilities for the kingdom of God
- Maintaining the highest level of integrity and accountability in the application of financial resources
- Living in our private lives – a strong personal committment to Jesus Christ and the fulfillment of the Great Commandment and the Great Commission
- Partnering With the Church to Effectively Build Strong Marriages & Families In Christ
Get Marriage-Saving Tips and Updates
The American Association of Christian Counselors
The Marriage and Family Counselors Network
Christian Counselors of Texas
The Association of Marriage and Family Ministries