How to Find the Best Christian Marriage Counseling For You
The four most critical factors for you to consider in selecting the best Christian Marriage Counselor for you are: (1) Does the counselor actually profess to be a Christian himself or herself, (2) Does she/he have sufficient training, experience, and qualifications in Christian counseling? (3) Does the counselor have specific experience working with similar kinds situations, problems and issues you are facing in your marriage? (4) Does the counselor counsel from a Christian perspective that is biblically sound.
Simply saying that one is a Christian counselor because she or he offers advice at their local church, or are a member of the clergy, does not mean that they uphold Christian values and methodology in practice. Many counseling firms offer the services of Licensed Professional Counselors; however, even these credentials, if not combined with a practicing faith in Christ, and a commitment to biblical Christian values, can leave couples needing effective Christian counseling at a loss. It is important when looking for a Christian marriage counselor that the professional be qualified to counsel and have the faith necessary to offer biblical solutions to the seemingly insurmountable problems that married couples face today.
There are many things you can look for when trying to find Christian Marriage Counseling. Here are just a few to help you determine if the organization you are considering is suitable for your specific needs:
- Is the experience and credentials of the counselors adequate to meet your needs?
- Does the counselor have any affiliations or professional endorsements from accredited Christian associations?
- Does the counselor hold degrees from accredited Christian universities?
- Does the counselor involved have substantial experience related to your specific needs?
- Does the counselor have good standing within his/her local church?
- Is the counselor happily married?
- Does the counselor have adequate experience working with couples facing a crisis in their marriages?
- Does the counselor have proven track-record of “success” with married couples?
- Is the counselor recognized as an authority in their field by other professionals?
- Does the counselor frequent public speaking engagements on the issues of marital issues and Christian marriage counseling?
- Has the counselor authored any books or publications supporting Christian marriage counseling?
While these are not exhaustive questions they should be helpful to you in your pursuit of finding a qualified Christian marriage counseling professional. Of these questions, perhaps the most important thing to consider is whether or not the counselor you are interviewing has a like faith.
Many people who claim to be Christian marriage counselors are not necessarily even Christians. There are some who practice counseling and have a purely academic knowledge of the Bible, yet do not practice their faith. They might report to offer Christian Marriage Counseling services and still not have a personal relationship with God, our Creator, the One who designed man and marriage, the Author of the Bible. For this reason it is essential that when a person is seeking a legitimate Christian marriage counseling service that they ask questions regarding the counselors’ faith, church affiliation and involvement.
Many Christian marriage counselors will offer valuable resource through their website or in print form around the concept of viable Christian marriages. Take for example MarriageMinistry.org, where you can find hundreds of useful articles ranging from practical marriage advice to Christian marriage living. Cornerstone Marriage & Family Ministries also offers Intensive Christian Marriage Retreats. Stay current with the latest articles and updates on their Facebook Page. You can also find reputable counselors in your area through the American Association of Christian Counselors which offers valuable resources as well.
For more information on these resources and more, please feel free to contact Roy Milam of Cornerstone Marriage and Family Ministries.